Highly gifted children are each unique. Many not only think outside the box, they are not even aware of the box. Conversely, some are hyper-aware of rules and limits. Our teachers respect the individual needs and amazing capabilities of each child.
At their previous schools (often Gifted), many of our students were at the top of their class without really trying, or had stopped trying because they were bored. Like the fable of the “Tortoise and the Hare,” these children were born with the speed of the hare, but missed the opportunity to learn strong work habits. At San Jose, higher expectations and friendly competition with like-minded peers not only teaches them to work hard, but brings back their innate love of learning. We want them to be hares and tortoises.
- Standard content is covered quickly, to move onto deeper exploration, complex concepts and creative applications
- Some of our units are more commonly used in middle/high schools
- Math is accelerated by 1 year
- Many hands-on projects in class, often in groups to foster collaboration skills
- Teachers encourage students to question each other, lead discussions
- 3 teachers work together to ensure continuity, consistency, and community
- Comfort with technology – each class has laptops, Smartboards, and some iPads. Students do weekly research reports.
Enrichment, with parent support
- Magnet Booster Club raises funds to bring in diverse enrichment programs
- Parents find free/funded field trips. This year, we’ll have 9+ trips per class.
- As children grow, peers become just as important as teachers.
- Without having to skip grades, students can be with children their age who can keep up with them, and maybe (gasp) teach them something new.
- Parents often find other highly-committed parents who share the challenges of raising highly gifted kids. “Welcome home”
In the end, there really is no explaining our unique program on a website. If your child is eligible, come by for a tour. Few people know about our little Magnet, but almost everyone who visits ends up applying. Please call to schedule your visit.
Find out more about our great teachers